Sprouts may seem like a strange addition to a pasta dish, but hearty types such as sprouted lentils, peas, and chickpeas give this sauce body and flavor. We’ve called for equally hearty spelt and buckwheat gemelli, but you can use your favorite pasta shape as well.
- 1 cup cooked pasta and 1 1/4 cups sauceServings
- 2 small leeks, white and light green parts chopped (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup petite carrots
- 1 25-oz. jar pasta sauce, such as Lucini Spicy Tuscan Tomato
- 2 cups spelt and buckwheat gemelli, such as Eden Organic
- 1 6-oz. pkg. or 2 cups crunchy bean sprouts, such as lentils, peas, and adzuki beans
- 1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese, optional
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, bell pepper and carrots, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until leeks are soft. Stir in pasta sauce and 1 cup water. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook gemelli according to package directions.
3. Stir crunchy sprouts into pasta sauce, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve sauce over gemelli, and sprinkle with feta cheese, if using.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 492
- Carbohydrate Content: 77 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 728 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g