Squash blossoms are usually stuffed with cheese and fried. Delicious, yes, but this frittata is faster and a whole lot healthier.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 6 squash blossoms, stems and stamens removed
1. Preheat broiler. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, and cheese in bowl; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, and sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add zucchini; sauté 2 minutes. Stir zucchini mixture into egg mixture. Add squash blossoms to skillet, and sauté 30 seconds. Remove squash blossoms from skillet.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture to skillet. Arrange squash blossoms in circle on top. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until set.
4. Uncover skillet, and transfer to oven. Broil 3 minutes, or until top of frittata is golden. Slide frittata onto cutting board, and slice into 8 wedges.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 103
- Carbohydrate Content: 2 g
- Cholesterol Content: 141 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 81 mg