One of the better known Turkish desserts, baklava is composed of crispy layers of phyllo dough and cinnamon-flavored nuts, soaked in a sweet syrup flavored with rose water. It can be assembled the day before serving and refrigerated. Once baked, however, it should not be refrigerated, as this may cause the pastry to become soggy.
- 3 3/4 cups chopped, unsalted mixed nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts or pistachios
- 4 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 14 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. rose water or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In small bowl, combine nuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush a 12- by 17-inch baking pan (or the nearest size pan you have) lightly with butter. Lay a sheet of dough in pan and brush lightly with butter. Repeat with 3 more sheets, buttering each one after it has been laid over others.
- Evenly spread top sheet with 1/3 nut mixture. Cover filling with 3 sheets of dough, brushing with butter as before. Spread with 1/3 nut mixture. Repeat with another 3 sheets phyllo and remaining nuts. Cover with remaining 4 sheets of phyllo, brushing with butter as before (fold in any excess dough before placing top layer of dough on top and brushing with butter). Using a sharp knife, carefully cut pastry into diamond or square shapes.
- Bake 30 minutes. Increase heat to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown and puffed, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make syrup. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cinnamon sticks and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in rose water and lemon juice; set aside. Pour syrup over cooked pastry and allow to cool. Divide into pieces and arrange on serving plate.
- Serving Size: Makes about 24 pieces
- Calories: 255
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 17 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 164 mg