30 MINUTES OR LESS
This recipe calls for a vegetable-flavored tempeh. You will find various tempeh flavors in your market, so experiment.
- 2 cups Pickled Melons, Asian-Style, drained (p. 44)
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 lb. flavored tempeh
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbs. club soda water
- 2 Tbs. black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup juice from pickled melon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. hot chili oil
- Place pickled melons, carrots and scallions in separate piles on plate, and set aside. Halve snow peas on bias, and cut tempeh into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Mix flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl. Beat egg and club soda in second bowl. Add to flour mixture. Stir with chopsticks to just barely mix, leaving streaks of flour. Stir in sesame seeds.
- Place pickled melon juice, water, sesame oil, chili oil and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a third bowl. Mix well, and set aside.
- Dip tempeh strips in batter when oil reaches 375F on a candy/fat thermometer, or when a dry bamboo chopstick held into oil causes rapid bubbling. Deep-fry strips until golden, for 2 to 3 minutes, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons oil from wok, and stir-fry carrots over high heat for 1 minute. Add remaining vegetables, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir pickle juice mixture again, and add to vegetables. When sauce becomes clear, in about 30 seconds, add tempeh, and toss. Remove from heat, and serve while still hot.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 250 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g