Accented with an aromatic sauce flavored with a bit of maple syrup, this delicious, nutrition-packed stir-fry is sure to become a family favorite. Once you've assembled and prepared all the ingredients, it will take you less than 10 minutes to cook.
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs. arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 4 cups broccoli florets with stems (1-inch pieces)
- 8 oz. firm tofu, drained well and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large leek (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 8 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 1/2 Tbs. black sesame seeds
- 3 Tbs. tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. brown rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Fill large bowl with ice-cold water. Meanwhile, make sauce: In small bowl, whisk together tamari, maple syrup, vinegar, pepper flakes and 1 1/4 cups water until well combined. Set aside.
- In a cup, whisk together arrowroot and 1/4 cup water; set aside. Add broccoli and tofu to boiling water and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, plunge into bowl of ice water 5 to 10 seconds to stop cooking, and drain well. Set aside.
- In nonstick wok or large nonstick skillet, heat sesame and vegetable oils over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add leek, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add squash and mushrooms and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add reserved sauce to wok. Increase heat to high, cover and cook until simmering, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir arrowroot mixture to recombine, then add to wok and stir-fry until sauce is glossy, 10 to 20 seconds.
- Add bell pepper and reserved broccoli and tofu and stir-fry until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 232
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 660 mg