Silken tofu replaces cream cheese in this delicious dairy-free tart. The pie may be topped with small whole strawberries instead of sliced ones or with other sliced or whole fresh berries.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbs. cold water
- 1 1/2 cups silken tofu, pressed and drained
- 1/2 cup sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. safflower oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries or other fresh berries
- 1/2 cup fruit-sweetened strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In food processor, combine flour and salt and pulse to mix. Add margarine and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With machine running, add water 1 tablespoon at a time and process until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Line 9-inch tart pan with dough. Prick bottom of pastry several times with fork. Bake until just lightly browned, 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. In food processor, combine tofu, sugar and vanilla and process until well blended. Pour mixture into baked crust. Bake until tofu mixture is set, about 30 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To serve, arrange strawberry slices on top of pie in a circular pattern until entire surface is covered. Purée preserves in a blender or food processor and brush over strawberries. Chill at least 1 hour before cutting into wedges and serving.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 131 mg