A simple, summery dessert.
- ½ lb. rhubarb, peeled and sliced crosswise ¼-inch thick
- ½ lb. strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced if large
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tbs. cornstarch, or more if fruit is juicy
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into small squares
- ½ cup brown or granulated sugar
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil or butter 9-inch pie plate.
- Mix fruit with sugar, cornstarch and juice and zest of 1 orange. Scoop into pie plate.
- Mix together butter, sugar, oatmeal and flour until crumbly. Spread mixture on top of fruit. Place pie pan on cookie sheet or foil to catch drippings.
- Bake at 350F. for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream, yogurt or lightly whipped cream.
An Austrian sweet wine from Alexis Kracher is perfect for dessert.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 15 mg