Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
We couldn’t believe these tender shortcakes were both low-calorie and vegan.
- To make Filling: Combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- To make Shortcakes: Preheat oven to 450F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in bowl. Rub margarine into flour mixture with fingertips until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in yogurt until soft dough forms.
- Pat dough into 1/2-inch thick square on floured work surface. Cut 4 biscuits with 21/2-inch round cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet. Make 4 more biscuits from dough scraps. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are golden.
- Split biscuits, and set bottoms on plates. Spoon 3 Tbs. strawberries over each. Top with 3 Tbs. soy whipped cream. Top with biscuit tops, remaining strawberries, and a swirl of whipped cream.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 253 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g