Phyllo pastry stands in for puff pastry with no loss of drama but with a loss of calories. The creamy filling is lightened substantially with nonfat yogurt.
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (12x18 inches), preferably organic, and thawed
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey, preferably lavender
- Preheat oven to 400F. Butter 2 cookie sheets lightly, and set aside.
- Lay a stack of 6 sheets of phyllo on a work surface. Cut stack in half to form 2 rectangles, each about 9x12 inches. Set 1 piece of phyllo on 1 cookie sheet. Brush lightly with butter, and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Repeat with 5 more pieces of phyllo, buttering and sugaring each one. Make a second stack of phyllo on second cookie sheet, buttering and sugaring as before. Using a pizza cutter or large knife, cut each stack into 12 3x4-inch rectangles. Move rectangles slightly apart from each other on cookie sheet. Place cookie sheets in oven, and reduce temperature to 350F.
- Bake until phyllo is golden brown, for about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove pans from oven, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a bowl. Add orange juice and sugar, and toss to coat. Let macerate for 10 minutes to bring out flavor.
- Combine mascarpone, yogurt, honey and 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat until smooth and thick, for about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, slide one phyllo rectangle onto a dessert plate, and add a spoonful of berries and a spoonful of cream. Top with a second phyllo rectangle. Repeat with more berries and cream. Place a third phyllo rectangle on top. Assemble remaining dessert portion as before. Garnish plates with any remaining berries and cream, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 105 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g