Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Phyllo pastry stands in for puff pastry with no loss of drama but with a loss of calories. The creamy filling is lightened substantially with nonfat yogurt.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Butter 2 cookie sheets lightly, and set aside.
- Lay a stack of 6 sheets of phyllo on a work surface. Cut stack in half to form 2 rectangles, each about 9×12 inches. Set 1 piece of phyllo on 1 cookie sheet. Brush lightly with butter, and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Repeat with 5 more pieces of phyllo, buttering and sugaring each one. Make a second stack of phyllo on second cookie sheet, buttering and sugaring as before. Using a pizza cutter or large knife, cut each stack into 12 3×4-inch rectangles. Move rectangles slightly apart from each other on cookie sheet. Place cookie sheets in oven, and reduce temperature to 350F.
- Bake until phyllo is golden brown, for about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove pans from oven, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a bowl. Add orange juice and sugar, and toss to coat. Let macerate for 10 minutes to bring out flavor.
- Combine mascarpone, yogurt, honey and 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat until smooth and thick, for about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, slide one phyllo rectangle onto a dessert plate, and add a spoonful of berries and a spoonful of cream. Top with a second phyllo rectangle. Repeat with more berries and cream. Place a third phyllo rectangle on top. Assemble remaining dessert portion as before. Garnish plates with any remaining berries and cream, and serve.
- Serving Size SERVES 8
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 105 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g