This sweet-and-sour spread makes a crowd-pleasing hors d’oeuvre served with cream cheese and crackers. It also goes well with Indian curries.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. fruit such as pears, apples, peaches, plums or nectarines, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Combine vinegar, sugars, raisins, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, mustard seed, salt and cayenne pepper in large, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add fruit and return mixture to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Drain fruit in strainer, reserving liquid. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Return liquid to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, or until syrup is thick. Add pears, and return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Ladle chutney into sterilized jars. Wipe off any drips, then screw on tops. Invert jars 5 minutes, or immerse in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: Makes 4 8-oz. jars
- Calories: 43
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 38 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g