This sweet-and-sour spread makes a crowd-pleasing hors doeuvre served with cream cheese and crackers. It also goes well with Indian curries.
- Combine vinegar, sugars, raisins, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, mustard seed, salt and cayenne pepper in large, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add fruit and return mixture to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Drain fruit in strainer, reserving liquid. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Return liquid to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, or until syrup is thick. Add pears, and return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Ladle chutney into sterilized jars. Wipe off any drips, then screw on tops. Invert jars 5 minutes, or immerse in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Serving Size Makes 4 8-oz. jars
- Calories 43
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 38 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g