Dry-packed, sun-dried tomatoes are dramatically lower in fat than those packed in oil. You can make the sun-dried tomato topping in advance and store it, covered, in the refrigerator. Simply assemble this bruschetta, and pop it under the broiler just before serving.
- 1 3-oz. pkg. sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- 1 15-oz. can (13/4 cups) Great Northern beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1-lb. sourdough baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tsp. dried basil for garnish
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water in small bowl, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place pine nuts in dry skillet, and heat over medium heat until browned, stirring or shaking pan for uniform browning. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Add garlic, scallions and shredded carrots, and sauté 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and soaking liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add chopped basil and vinegar. Cook 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bread in single layer on baking sheet, and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Spoon bean mixture on bread slices, sprinkle with dried basil and top with pine nuts. Place under broiler for 3 minutes, or until heated through and lightly toasted.
- Serving Size: SERVES 16
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 249 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g