This robust pesto sauce is extremely versatile. Simply add a little more liquid to it and it makes a great sauce for pasta or polenta. You also can roast the garlic, which would add a rich and slightly sweet flavor.
- 2-Tablespoon servingServings
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- In heat-proof bowl, combine tomatoes and boiling water. Let stand until tomatoes soften, about 15 minutes. Drain tomatoes, reserving 1 cup of soaking liquid. Chop tomatoes.
- In medium skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In food processor, combine tomatoes and reserved soaking liquid, pine nuts, basil, parsley, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and sautéed garlic and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to serving bowl.
- Serving Size: Makes 2 cups
- Calories: 70
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 72 mg