This recipe is a makeover of a classic mayonnaise-based French dressing, sometimes known as Green Goddess. By using soft tofu, flaxseed oil and umeboshi vinegar, you can closely approximate the creamy texture of mayonnaise but with a far healthier result. It’s great on mixed greens, but probably best suited to a dense salad, such as the Pasta Verde (p. 52), as a sandwich spread or simply spooned over sliced tomatoes.
- 1 cup flaxseed oil
- 1/4 cup umeboshi vinegar
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup sliced scallions (6 to 8 medium)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 16 oz. soft tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 1/2 tsp. spirulina
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- In blender or food processor, combine oil, vinegar, garlic, scallions, parsley, mint, basil, tarragon, dill and 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth. Pulse on/off until blended, scraping down sides of container as necessary with rubber spatula.
- Add tofu, spirulina, salt and remaining 1/4 cup water. Blend until mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Be patient: Dressing will not come together at first and you will be tempted to add more liquid, but don’t. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Before using, leave at room temperature for a few minutes, then whisk to regain its smooth texture.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 quart
- Calories: 31
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 5 mg