This tasty and healthy stir-fry goes from pan to table in no time. Because stir-frying is so fast, it’s important to have all ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking.
- Per servingServings
- Reserved juice from canned pineapple, about 3/4 cup
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 Tbs. brown-rice syrup
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 to 10 slender stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks,drained, juice reserved
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu, well drained and diced
- To make sauce, in small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
- In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and asparagus, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and pineapple chunks, and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Stir in tofu and reserved sauce and cook, stirring until mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor with additional honey, vinegar and/or soy sauce. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 440 mg