Because stir-frying is so fast, it’s important to have all ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking.
MEAL PLAN: Prepare a 6-serving portion of quick-cooking brown rice to soak up the delicious sauce. A salad of sliced cucumber, watercress and yogurt would add a refreshing note to the meal.
- 1 1⁄2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 to 10 slender stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14 1⁄2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu, well drained and finely diced
- Reserved juice from canned pineapple (3⁄4 cup)
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 Tbs. honey or brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- Make sauce: In small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
- In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and asparagus, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and pineapple chunks and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Stir in tofu and reserved sauce and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust sweet/sour balance to your liking with additional honey, vinegar and/or soy sauce. Serve at once.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 158
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 467 mg