The triad of jalapeño, ginger and lime juice give this dish backbone and personality.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, seeded and quartered, to taste
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, unpeeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cubes
- 4 kiwis, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups trimmed and halved strawberries
- 3 cups unpeeled, diced English cucumber
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- To make Honey-Lime Dressing: Starting at least one hour before serving, combine honey, water, jalapeños and ginger in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and chill completely. Strain jalapeño and ginger from syrup.
- To make Salad: Layer fruit in 2 1/2-quart straight-sided glass dish, starting with pineapple and continuing with kiwis, strawberries, cucumber and mangoes. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- To serve, add lime juice to dressing, and whisk until well blended. Drizzle dressing over salad, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 5 mg
- Sugar Content: 29 g