Translucent quinoa adds a pearly texture to this vibrant green soup. Make sure to pick out any discolored quinoa before cooking, as they will show up as dark specks.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (2⁄3 cup)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas (4 lbs. unshelled)
- 6 oz. plain soy yogurt
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 Tbs. shredded fresh mint leaves (optional)
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 cup cold water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with fork; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add broth, cover and bring to a boil. Add peas and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Reserve 1⁄2 cup peas. In food processor or blender, process mixture, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh sieve back into saucepan, using a rubber spatula to press mixture through mesh. Stir in reserved quinoa and peas, yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Reheat over low heat, stirring occasionally. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each serving with mint.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 281 mg