Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This tart was inspired by Italian peperonata, a melt-in-your-mouth combination of peppers and onions.
- To make Crust: Combine flour and salt in bowl. Stir in oil. Add water, and stir just until soft dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- To make Topping: Place peppers and onion on baking sheet, and toss with oil, 1 Tbs. vinegar and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast 30 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown and caramelize, shaking pan several times.
- Reduce oven to 400F. Bring brown sugar and remaining vinegar to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat, and cook 1 minute, or until thick. Pour mixture into bottom of 9-inch pie pan.
- Arrange peppers and onions in pan. Sprinkle with almonds and raisins.
- Roll out Crust dough to 10-inch round. Place on top of filling, tucking excess into sides of pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden. Let rest 5 minutes, and invert onto platter. Cut into wedges, and serve warm.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 250
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 150 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g