Canned black beans and frozen corn kernels are the shortcut ingredients in this nicely spiced entree with a South American accent. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges (to squeeze over the top) if desired.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In large heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown in spots, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, cumin and salt and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds. Add 3/4 cup water and cook, stirring to scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan, until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 279 mg