- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whole-grain pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. raw sugar (see glossary, p. 99)
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In small bowl, combine soy milk with lemon juice. Set aside. (Mixture will thicken and resemble buttermilk.)
- In medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oil and mashed sweet potatoes. Alternately add dry ingredients and soy milk mixture to sweet potatoes to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly. (Don’t overwork or biscuit will be tough.) Pat dough into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured round biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a baking sheet, spacing about 1/2 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: Makes 12
- Calories: 143
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 161 mg