Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Refrigerate and reserve the extra syrup for these fragile cookies for another use.
- To make the Syrup: Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, stirring, for about 3 to 4 minutes, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes more, or until it begins to thicken and become syrupy.Add the lemon slice, stir, cook 1 minute more and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Place the oven rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the Cookies: Combine the butter, eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder and zest, and beat with an electric mixer until the dough comes together. Break off pieces, and roll between palms or on a lightly floured work surface to form 1-inch-round balls. Place onto baking sheets. Flatten each ball slightly. Use your thumb to indent the center of each cookie, and settle an almond into the hole. Continue until all thedough and almonds are used up.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies begin to turn light brown on top, taking care not to overbake. Remove from the oven, spoon the syrup over the cookies and set aside to cool.
- Serving Size Makes about 50 cookies
- Calories 120
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 15 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g