30 minutes or less
This salad is chock-full of vegetables and is great as either a main or side dish. You can substitute a 5-oz. box of tabbouleh mix for the bulgur; just omit the seasoning packet.
Meal Plan: Toasted pita triangles served with hummus would make a nice accompaniment to this dish.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 (4-oz.) pkg. crunchy sprouts, mixed bean sprouts or radish sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 to 4 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium skillet, combine asparagus pieces and 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer over high heat, 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Return asparagus to skillet with bell pepper and 1 Tbs. olive oil. Cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine asparagus mixture, cooled bulgur and remaining
- Tbs. olive oil. Add remaining ingredients except lettuce and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over lettuce leaves.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 417 mg