Recipe by Chef Elliott Prag, Natural Gourmet Institute
- 8 servingsServings
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon) or more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 English cucumber (seedless cucumber), small dice
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced (green and white portions)
- 6 ounces parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 2 ounces mint, stemmed and chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded, small dice
1. In an 8-inch sauté pan over low heat, dry roast bulgur for 1-2 minutes or until grain is slightly fragrant.
2. In 2-quart pot, bring water to boil. Add pinch of salt and toasted bulgur; bring back to rolling boil for 1 minute.
3. Turn off heat. Cover pot with bulgur and let steam covered for 45 minutes. Fluff with fork. Transfer bulgur to large bowl to cool. While bulgur is still warm, toss with lemon juice, oil and salt. Let bulgur sit until it reaches room temperature.
4. Combine bulgur with cucumber, scallions, parsley, mint, and tomatoes. Adjust seasoning for salt and lemon juice, if desired.
See Also: Green Bean and Toasted Hazelnut Salad