This warm-you-up drink is similar to a Dutch Bisschopswijn, a hot beverage served during the holidays. Adding chamomile tea helps balance the tang that comes from simmering the wine.
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 750-ml. bottle full-bodied red wine, such as red Zinfandel
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bag chamomile tea
- orange slices and whole cloves, for garnish
1. Insert 3 cloves into skin of each orange quarter. Place orange quarters, wine, sugar and cinnamon sticks in large saucepan, and heat until wine is steaming, but not boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let steam 30 minutes.
2. Steep tea in 1 cup boiling water 5 minutes. Remove tea bag, and stir tea into wine mixture. Serve in cups, garnished with orange slices pierced with cloves.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 261
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Sodium Content: 6 mg
- Sugar Content: 40 g