Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Tempeh maintains its integrity even when ground, making it the perfect high-protein base for chili, stuffing and a wonderful tomato sauce. This recipe is an adaptation of the original, which comes from Bologna in northern Italy. The final product should be thick and chunky—somewhere between a tomato sauce and a stew. If you can resist the temptation to consume the entire recipe right from the pot, try it served over rice or spaghetti.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse tempeh to a coarse meal.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine or broth and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and basil. Serve over rice or pasta.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 456 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g