Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick vegetable spray.
- To make Tempeh Layer: Steam cubed tempeh for 15 minutes, and set aside. Spray large skillet with nonstick vegetable spray, and heat crushed pepper over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add garlic, bell pepper and 1 cup onions, reserving remainder of onions for spinach filling, and sauté 3 minutes. Crumble tempeh into pan, and add mushrooms. Cook mixture 5 minutes.
- Add vermouth and 1/3 cup onion broth, reserving remaining broth for spinach filling. Reduce heat to low, add parsley and tamari, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- To make Spinach Layer: Place spinach in colander, press out excess liquid and set aside. Spray second skillet with nonstick vegetable spray, and, over medium-high heat, sauté remaining 1/2 cup onions and carrots. Cook 3 minutes, or until carrots begin to soften. Add tomatoes and reserved broth. Reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add pine nuts, remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Pastry: Place flour, rolled oats, salt and baking powder in food processor, and process to mix. Add tofu, and process. Add oil, rice syrup and ice water through feeding tube while motor is running. Process until mixture forms ball. Turn onto flat work surface dusted with flour, and knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed, until dough is pliable and elastic. Separate one-third dough, cover with towel and set aside. Roll larger dough portion into 1/4-inch-thick rectangle 10 x 13 inches.
- Line loaf pan with dough, spoon tempeh mixture into bottom and top with spinach layer. Roll remaining dough into rectangle slightly larger than pan. Place over filling, and moisten edges slightly with dampened fingers. Gently slide butter knife between side of pan and dough, positioning top crust over bottom pastry and inside pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn onto serving platter. Slice and serve with pilaf and sauce.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 296
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 508 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g