When making kabobs for a party, limit them to two or three ingredients. For a beautiful presentation, always consider color as well as taste and texture. Here, marinated tempeh, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers work together nicely, though you could also experiment with baked tofu, mushrooms, blanched carrots, winter squash, zucchini, yellow squash, baby onions and fresh pineapple. To make ginger juice, grate a small piece of fresh ginger and squeeze to extract the juice.
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add tempeh cubes; cover and steam 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In shallow glass dish, make marinade by whisking together mustard and vinegar; whisk in tamari, apple juice, garlic and ginger juice. Add steamed tempeh, spooning marinade mixture over. Let stand at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Have ready 28 (6-inch) metal skewers, or soak 6-inch bamboo skewers in cold water 30 minutes to prevent them from burning. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To assemble: On each skewer, place 1 bell pepper square, 1 tomato and 1 marinated tempeh cube. Reserve marinade remaining in dish for peanut sauce. Place kabobs on baking sheet and brush with oil. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes more. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size Makes 28
- Calories 49
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 238 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g