This recipe is a makeover of the famous Hungarian dish that uses paprika, a spice made from grinding a variety of dried, red peppers. Serve the stew hot with some wide whole wheat noodles or steamed potatoes. Top with a dollop of soy sour cream if desired.
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 Tbs. plus 11⁄2 tsp. hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. caraway seeds
- 11⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. tempeh, cut into1-inch dice
- 3 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 3 Tbs. kudzu dissolved in 4 Tbs. Cold water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer. Turn off heat; cover to keep warm.
- In medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, cider, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt, 11⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds, 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon garlic. Add diced tempeh and toss to coat.
- In large, shallow baking dish, place tempeh with liquid in single layer. Bake, uncovered, until all liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes. Check often, making sure cooking liquid does not burn.
- Meanwhile, in large Dutch oven, combine onions, remaining paprika, caraway, thyme and pepper and 1⁄4 cup hot broth. Cover and cook over medium heat until onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir well. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, dissolve kudzu completely in cold water and add to hot broth. Stir with whisk, increase heat slightly and return mixture to a simmer. Cook, whisking, until broth thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth to pan with onions and stir until mixture is well blended. Remove tempeh from oven and add to pan, along with remainng cooking liquid; stir well.
- Cover pan and bake, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 413
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 1425 mg