This recipe is adapted from The Café Brenda Cookbook (Voyageur Press, 1992).
- Cook potatoes in enough boiling water to cover, until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well; mash and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add garlic, coriander and cumin. Break up tempeh pieces with a fork, stirring in spices. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer tempeh-spice mixture to bowl and set aside. When mixture is cool, crumble up tempeh.
- In medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add carrot and green onion and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add sautéed vegetables and mashed potatoes to tempeh mixture. Add salt, pepper, egg and parsley and mix well. Form into six 3-inch patties.
- In large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add tempeh patties and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 135
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g