Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Layers of tempeh, sauerkraut and caramelized onions give this warm sandwich a rich, well-integrated flavor. Although you can spread the bread with mustard, the Russian dressing is delicious and takes just minutes to make—you can do it while the tempeh is simmering. If you like, top the assembled Reubens with slices of soy cheese, then run the sandwiches under the broiler just until the cheese melts. Two brands that melt nicely: Soy Moon Gouda or Veggie Slices American cheese. The Russian Dressing makes 1/2 cup.
- To make Russian Dressing: Mix all ingredients in bowl until thoroughly combined. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make Tempeh Reubens: Using sharp knife, cut tempeh crosswise at 45-degree angle into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine 1 1/2 cups water, vinegar, tamari, peppercorns and caraway seeds in large saucepan. Add tempeh, spooning mixture over it. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt, and cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat about 10 minutes, or until juicy. Increase heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes more, stirring often, until well browned. Remove pan from heat.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and add tempeh slices, in batches if necessary. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Warm sauerkraut in saucepan over medium-low heat.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread each bread slice with 1 heaping Tbs. of Russian dressing. Layer bread with arugula, tempeh, sauerkraut and onions. Serve warm, either open-faced or topped with another slice of bread.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 920 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g