Tandoori spice mixes can be found in the spice sections of most well-stocked supermarkets. This is a very easy dish, but requires marinating time, so put it together in the morning or a day ahead. Serve it with purchased naan breads or steamed basmati rice.
- Tempeh Tikka Masala
- 2 medium-size onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 Tbs. tandoori spice blend
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 15.5-oz. can tomato purée
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. honey
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- Buttermilk Raita
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- To make Tempeh Tikka Masala: Finely chop onions, ginger and garlic in food processor. Add buttermilk, tandoori spice blend, lime juice and pinch of salt; blend until smooth.
- Place tempeh cubes in 13x9-inch baking dish. Add buttermilk sauce, and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 8 hours.
- To make Buttermilk Raita: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper; chill until cold, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Stir tomato purée, chickpeas and honey into tempeh mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and add cauliflower. Bake 40 minutes, or until sauce is thick and dark red. Serve with Buttermilk Raita.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 276
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 492 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g