Pretend you are hunching over a campfire on the Texas plains after a hard days ride. This robust meal will set you up for the next day with plenty of rib-sticking beans, sourdough bread and picante tofu. You can kick up the heat by garnishing the beans and tofu with sliced jalapeño chiles. And you can intensify flavors by using more chile powder and a few dashes of hot pepper sauce. Dinner is complete with apple turnovers and hot apple cider.
- 4 1-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 cups vegetarian-style baked beans
- 4 Tbs. vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into large cubes
- 4 Tbs. soy “bacon” bits
- 8 oz. shredded soy cheese, preferably mixture of cheddar and Monterey Jack
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F. Arrange thick slices of bread in a large baking dish, and set them aside.
- Place beans in a large saucepan, and heat them over medium heat, warming them through completely. When they are hot, remove them from heat, and set them aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion until golden, for about 5 minutes. Remove onion from heat, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine cumin, chili powder, onion powder and cornstarch in a large bowl, mixing to combine well. Place cubed tofu in a bowl, and dust each side with mixture. Add remaining oil to skillet, and heat over medium heat. Sauté tofu cubes on all sides until crispy, for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove them from heat, and place them in a bowl with onion.
- Spoon beans over bread slices in equal portions, and sprinkle “bacon” bits onto beans. Top with tofu and onions, and sprinkle each portion with grated cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove them from oven, and garnish them with cilantro leaves before serving.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 710
- Carbohydrate Content: 86 g
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 1910 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g