Fortunately, many Southeast Asian ingredients formerly considered exotic are now regularly stocked on supermarket shelves. You’ll need Thai curry paste and a stalk of lemon grass to get the great taste that this quick recipe delivers. If your supermarket doesn’t carry them, try an Asian market. It’s worth the effort to have these ingredients on hand. Serve this memorable stew on its own or over jasmine or basmati rice.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbs. instant vegetable stock powder
- 1 stalk lemon grass, outer leaves removed, lower part only chopped into 2-inch pieces (discard grassy top)
- 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups cooked red kidney beans or
- 15-oz. can red kidney beans, drained (rinsed if nonorganic)
- Salt to taste
- In large saucepan, combine water, stock powder, lemon grass and curry paste. Bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes, cover and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes.
- Stir in beans and salt to taste. Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 3 minutes more. Add a bit more water if mixture becomes too dry. Remove pieces of lemon grass before serving.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 278
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 164 mg