Pressing and draining tofu before marinating it gives it a chewy texture that goes well with barbecue flavors.
- 16 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1 stick lemongrass, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 5 green onions, trimmed, each cut into 4 batons
- 20 snap peas
- 16 Boston lettuce leaf cups
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
1. Drain tofu between 2 cutting boards set on angle over sink, 1 hour. Cut into 16 cubes.
2. Purée lemongrass, shallot, and ginger to paste in food processor. Whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, and 2 Tbs. water in bowl. Transfer half of soy sauce mixture to bowl for dipping sauce. Add lemongrass mixture to remaining soy sauce mixture.
3. Toss together tofu, green onions, snap peas, and lemongrass–soy sauce mixture, and marinate 30 minutes.
4. Oil grill grates, and preheat grill to medium. Thread 4 tofu cubes, 5 green onions, and 5 snap peas onto each of 4 skewers. Place on grill, close hood, and cook 4 minutes. Turn, close hood, and cook 4 minutes more. Transfer to platter. Slide skewer ingredients off with lettuce; garnish with mint, peanuts, and sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 281
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 603 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g