Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This home-cooked meal probably contains less fat and fewer calories than most carry-outs, and preparing it takes no longer than a pick-up trip to a restaurant. Adapted from Rachael Rays 30-Minute Meals Veggie Meals.
- Cook jasmine rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet or wok-shaped pan over high heat. Add oil and crushed red pepper, and let sizzle for 10 to 15 seconds. Add eggplant, and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic, and stir-fry for 3 minutes more. Add vinegar and soy sauce. Sprinkle with sugar, and toss for 1 or 2 minutes longer.
- Remove pan from heat, add basil leaves and toss to combine with eggplant. Serve over hot cooked rice.
The spices in this dish call for a Riesling or Gewerztraminer that’s slightly sweet but won’t overpower the spices. Try the J. Lohr White Riesling or a less sweet but fruity Firestone Gewerz
- Serving Size SERVES 2 to 3
- Calories 500
- Carbohydrate Content 86 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1540 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g