This is a refreshing salad with just a hint of sweetness from the mango. Make sure that the mango is hard on the outside and green on the inside. You can buy roasted red chilies, chickpea flour and crispy shallots at most Asian markets. Recipe from Myanmar Restaurant, Falls Church, Virginia.
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 green mango, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. low-sodium or “white” soy sauce
- 2 tsp. crushed roasted red chilies
- 1 Tbs. roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2 tsp. chickpea flour
- 2 tsp. fried shallots or onions
- Soak onion in water to remove sharp taste. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté garlic until brown, for about 2 minutes. Remove garlic from oil, reserve oil and set garlic aside.
- Combine mango, onion, cabbage, cilantro and garlic in large bowl. In separate bowl, combine garlic, oil and soy sauce. Toss mango mixture with oil. Garnish with red chilies, peanuts, chickpea flour and fried shallots, toss and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 2
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 150 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g