Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
There are several ways to prepare this unusual dish. You can fill the slits in the potato with bright peppers and onions, with a mix of other vegetables, or with a cheese-based combination, such as sautéed wild mushrooms and slices of Gruyère cheese. As the potato bakes, it absorbs the juices from the fillings.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully remove skin from top half of potato only. Cut about 8 slits three-quarters of way through potato, about 1 inch apart. Do not cut through skin on underside.
- Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise and cut each half into 1/8-inch-thick slices to create half circles.
- Cut peppers into quarters lengthwise, removing stems and seeds. Cut each quarter into 2 tall triangles.
- Combine rosemary, salt, pepper and melted margarine in small bowl.
- Place each potato on 12×14-inch sheet of foil or parchment. Gently pull apart first slit, and insert slice of onion; in second slit, insert red pepper triangle; in third slit, insert green pepper triangle. Repeat until slits are filled. Drizzle 1 Tbs. seasoned margarine over each potato; wrap well in foil. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake potatoes 45 to 55 minutes, or until tender when pierced with skewer. Serve in wrapper, and let each person unwrap potato.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 450
- Carbohydrate Content 80 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g