After 12 or so attempts at making a vegan cake with no funky aftertaste, Selange Giannetto, a trained culinary chef, but self-taught pastry chef, hit the jackpot. Just to make sure, the St. Charles, Ill., resident asked all sorts of people to try it. Most of them didn’t believe it was vegan. This recipe received an honorable mention in our 2008 Reader Recipe Contest.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beet sugar or cane sugar
- 6 Tbs. Equal Exchange Organic Baking Cocoa*
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. Simply Organic Vanilla Extract*
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup Equal Exchange Organic Baking Cocoa*
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Vanilla Extract*
Peanut Butter Mousse
- 4 oz. smooth peanut butter
- 4 oz. firm silken tofu
- 2.5 oz. confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tsp. Simply Organic Vanilla Extract*
1. To make Chocolate Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and dust with flour. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into large bowl. Whisk together vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, and 2 cups water in separate bowl. Fold oil mixture into flour mixture, but don’t overmix. Pour into prepared pans, and bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool cake in pan, then unmold.
2. To make Fudge Icing: Sift confectioners’ sugar and cocoa into mixing bowl. Add shortening; beat 1 minute with electric mixer on low speed, or until well combined. Add 2/3 cup boiling water and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Cool 20 minutes.
3. To make Peanut Butter Mousse: Purée peanut butter and tofu in blender until smooth. Blend in confectioners’ sugar 1 Tbs. at a time, then blend in vanilla. Chill mousse until firm enough to spread.
4. To assemble: Place one cake layer on plate; top with Peanut Butter Mousse, then second cake layer. Frost with Fudge Icing.
- Serving Size: Serves 16
- Calories: 526
- Carbohydrate Content: 78 g
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 354 mg
- Sugar Content: 55 g