Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Grad school student Ben Dixon makes this kale pizza recipe every Sunday night for his family and his dog (“He seems to like it especially!”) while listening to public radio. Dixon recommends cooking the crust on a pizza stone before adding the toppings. “This will make sure all of the crust is crisp and the pizza firm. Also, drizzle plenty of olive oil over the whole pie before baking.”
This recipe by Vegetarian Times reader Ben Dixon was originally published in August, 2015.
Kale Pizza Recipe with Caramelized Onion and Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place pizza stone on middle rack of oven, if using.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 10 to 20 minutes, or until at least half of onions are browned and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and 1 Tbs. oil. Cook 1 minute, or until garlic begins to brown. Add kale to pan, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until kale has turned bright green, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, roll out pizza dough as thinly as possible. Place on pizza stone or baking sheet sprinkled with flour. Bake 4 minutes to ensure crust gets crisp (pop any bubbles with fork).
- Drizzle crust with 2 Tbs. oil, sprinkle with sea salt (if using), and top with kale mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Return pizza to oven, and bake 8 minutes more, or until cheese is golden, and crust is golden brown. Remove pizza from oven, drizzle with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and slice into triangles.
- Calories 282
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 549 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g