Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The perfect healthy French fry alternative does not exist? Oh, but it does. These spiced, salted, sweet potato wedges are a direct hit on your fried-food cravings, but in a way more nutritious package.
Sweet potatoes are a slightly-lower-calorie, way-more-vitamin dense tuber compared to the standard spud most fries come from. Tuber to tuber, the sweet potato packs in more fiber, more calcium, and more of vitamins A, C, and B6. And, of course, these wedges are baked, not fried.
We also love how easy these sweet potato wedges are. While you’re making your favorite veggie burgers or wings, you can quickly whip up a tray of these to accompany. In our version we make a seasoning salt with paprika and cumin, but feel free to customize to your own salty-spicy-savory tastes.
Spiced-Salt Sweet Potato Wedges
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together salt, paprika, and cumin in large bowl, and set aside.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil in large bowl. Spread on baking sheets, and roast 25 to 28 minutes, or until browned. Toss with spiced salt.
- Serving Size per 1-cup serving
- Calories 314
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1036 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g