Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
For a thick pizza crust, try this easy recipe, which requires no rising but tastes like a yeast bread crust. If you want to freeze pizza, securely wrap prepared pizza in plastic wrap, then foil. To cook, remove wrappings and place pizza on cookie sheet without thawing. Bake a few minutes longer than specified time.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Lightly coat baking sheet or 2 pizza tins with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flours, cornstarch, dry milk, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening, rubbing with fingers until it feels like cornmeal. Pour in water and stir until dough clings together in a ball. Work with hands, kneading dough until smooth. Form into 4 balls.
- Arrange balls on prepared sheet or tins. Cover with plastic wrap and press each into 6-inch circle about 1⁄4 inch thick, except at edges, which should be about 1⁄2 inch thick to contain sauce and fillings. Fill with desired sauce and toppings.
- Bake until crust is crisp and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Adapted from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Revised Edition, by Bette Hagman (Henry Holt, 2000).
- Serving Size 8 Servings
- Calories 137
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 142 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g