This crust uses a poolish, a sourdough-like starter allowed to ferment several hours, which makes the final result crisp without being cracker-like.
- slice (1/8 crust)Servings
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 3 tsp. yeast, divided
- 2 tsp. guar gum or xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for coating pan
1. Whisk together brown rice flour, chickpea flour, potato starch, and sugar in bowl. Scoop 1/2 cup flour mixture into separate bowl; stir in 1 tsp. yeast, then add 1/2 cup warm water. Cover with plastic wrap, and set in warm place 4 to 12 hours, or until bubbly and fragrant.
2. Whisk remaining 2 tsp. yeast, guar gum, and salt into dry flour mixture. Stir egg whites and 3/4 cup warm water into wet yeast-flour mixture. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until no lumps remain. Stir in oil. Cover, and let rise in warm place 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place rack on rung nearest bottom of oven. Coat pizza pan with oil. Scoop dough onto pan. Place hand in plastic bag, and press dough flat.
4. Garnish with desired toppings. Place pizza on rack in oven, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust is browned and crisp on bottom, and cheese, if using, is melted.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 12-inch pizza
- Calories: 139
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 237 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g