Serve this delicate soup hot or chilled, in large bowls for a luncheon entrée or in soup cups or mugs as a first course.
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 1 large leek, white part only, well washed and chopped
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 lb. potatoes (1 large), peeled and cubed
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- About 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche, sour cream or plain yogurt
- 12 to 16 chives, sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Stir in leeks and scallions, and cook until very soft, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Add potatoes, asparagus and stock, and increase heat to high. When soup reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool for about 5 minutes. Purée soup in batches in food processor or blender until very smooth. Return soup to clean soup pot.
- To serve, reheat soup to a simmer just before ladling, and season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with dollop of crème fraîche and sprinkle of chives and radishes.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 550 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g