This cacciatore has all the savory flavor of the original but not the fat. Lightly sauteed tofu makes a nutritious base, while peppers, tomatoes and garlic provide a rich mix of cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 (14.5-oz.) cans low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs. firm low-fat tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- On baking sheet, arrange tofu slices in single layer. Cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap and set a second baking sheet on top. Place weights (heavy cans or pans work well) on top of baking sheet. Let stand 15 minutes to drain. (For a meatier texture, cover tofu slices with plastic wrap and freeze on baking sheet until ready to use.)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, basil and oregano and stir 15 seconds. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in shallow dish, mix flour with pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper. Coat large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat.
- Dredge tofu slices in seasoned flour, turning to coat both sides. Add slices to skillet in batches and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side, lowering heat if necessary. As tofu slices are browned, transfer to 3-quart baking dish in single layer. Recoat pan between batches. Pour tomato-pepper sauce over tofu and cover dish with parchment paper or foil.
- Bake until cacciatore is heated through, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. (The longer it bakes, the more flavor the tofu will absorb.) Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 180 mg