For a casual supper, I always enjoy these tofu pancakes topped with a rich mushroom sauce. For optimum taste, prepare the pancake mixture and chill it overnight–the flavors will blend, and the cakes will turn more easily. Calcium per serving: 520 mg.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped white or cremini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour
- 1 cup calcium-enriched soy milk
- 1 lb. firm low-fat tofu
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup calcium-enriched soy milk
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup drained and soaked hijiki
- 1 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Slowly stir in soy milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes. If desired, transfer mixture to food processor or blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In food processor or blender, combine tofu, flour and soy milk and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Stir in bean sprouts, water chestnuts, green onions, shiitake mushrooms, hijiki, tamari or soy sauce and ginger. Batter should be fairly stiff–add more flour if needed.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Drop batter in skillet by spoonfuls to form 3-inch pancakes about 1/4 inch thick. Cook until golden brown, turning carefully, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet if necessary.
- To serve, arrange pancakes on a heated platter and top with sauce.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 279 mg