Sushi mats are available at Asian groceries or specialty cooking stores, but a double layer of plastic wrap also works.
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. mirin (rice wine)
- 4 nori (dried seaweed) sheets
- 4 green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 oz. baked teriyaki tofu, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 2 tsp. hot garlic chile sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 oz. (16 slices) pink pickled ginger, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- To make Rolls: Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar and mirin, and cool.
- Place nori, shiny side down, on sushi mat or plastic wrap. Wet fingertips, and spread 3/4 cup rice over nori, leaving 1/4-inch border on long sides. Sprinkle 1 Tbs. green onions over rice. Line several carrot strips, cucumber strips and tofu slices down center. Spoon 1/2 tsp. chile sauce over them. Place 4 slices ginger on top.
- Roll nori around filling lengthwise, using mat as an aid. Remove mat. Moisten knife, then cut roll in 8 pieces. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- To make Dipping Sauce: Combine soy sauce, lemon juice and oil in small bowl. Serve with rolls.
- Serving Size: Serves 6 (5 to 6 rolls per person)
- Calories: 266
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 619 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g