Bruschetta is a simple but superb Italian appetizer of thick slices of toasted bread spread with a garden-fresh topping of ripe red tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil. It's a wonderful accompaniment to the chowder in both flavor and color.
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Six 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty bread, grilled or toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 lbs. ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
1. In medium bowl, gently mix tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
2. To serve, cut grilled bread slices in half. Set slices on serving plates and spoon tomato mixture over them.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 99
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 134 mg