You can put seeded, sliced tomatoes directly on this pizza, but roasting them first–as we do here–makes for a more concentrated tomato flavor without the excess moisture. Serve this at the height of tomato season, with fresh corn on the cob. If you prefer, omit the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle pizza with nondairy Parmesan when it comes out of the oven.
- 1 batch Push-Button Pizza Dough (August '00, p. 42)
- Olive oil
- 4 ripe large tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup purchased or homemade pesto
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 to 4 oz.)
- 1 or 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare pizza dough as directed. (August '00/p. 42)
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 350°F. Oil large, preferably nonstick baking sheet with sides. Arrange tomato slices in prepared pan; they’ll be crowded. Dust with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Roast until softened, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool; set aside.
- Prepare grill, leaving one side unlit. Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets. Gently punch down dough, divide in half and knead each half into a ball. Place dough balls on lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 8 minutes. Using rolling pin, roll each ball into 9-inch circle, about 1/4 inch (scant) thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheets and lightly brush entire surface with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift each dough circle off baking sheet and place on hot side of grill. Cook undisturbed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, so bottom has a chance to set; top of dough will bubble.
- Using large spatula, flip dough over onto same hot side of grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slide crusts to cooler area of grill. Evenly spread pesto over crusts, top with tomato slices and sprinkle with mozzarella. Close grill and cook, periodically moving pizzas around to keep charring to a minimum, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer pizzas to cutting board, sprinkle with parsley, slice and serve.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 slices
- Calories: 222
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 671 mg